Sunday, June 26, 2016

Reflective Journal 6

Describe:

            Educational psychologist John Carroll published an article in 1993 titled “A Model of School Learning.” In this article, he describes the elements necessary for effective teaching. He proposed that effective teaching was a combination of time spent learning and the time needed to learn. Slavin analyzed Carroll’s work and transformed it into a workable model in which the quality of instruction, appropriate levels of instruction, incentives, and time balance to provide effective instruction. This model, referred to as QAIT, focuses on elements within a teacher’s control.

            Grouping students is done in order to ensure that each student receives the instruction that he or she needs. There are many different types of grouping that can be done in schools and classrooms, and in this chapter Slavin (2012) discusses different types of grouping strategies and their levels of effectiveness. Students are usually placed into groups based on their abilities. Between-class ability grouping places all students of similar ability level into the same class. While in theory this sort of grouping is effective, in practice it is quite the opposite. Often in between-class grouping, students in low ability level classrooms receive low expectations and are exposed to few positive role models. Within-class ability grouping is much more effective because students are placed into mixed-ability classrooms. Mixed-ability classrooms expose students to all sorts of achievement levels. Students are placed into smaller ability groups that have homogenous skill level, but the students are not placed in a situation in which they may have decreased self-esteem because they have not been cast out. Students can see one another fail and succeed and the teacher can determine goals for each student.

            Differentiating instruction is critical in the classroom. According to Slavin (2015, p. 259) differentiating instruction is how we can tailor instruction to each student’s needs. It adapts the content, level, pace and products of instruction so that each student can succeed. Students who are special needs or at-risk benefit from this type of instruction a lot because often they need more help, more explanation, or more encouragement.  At-risk students also benefit highly from individualized education programs in which they have set goals that they work to achieve. Slavin (2012) states, “children who are at risk can succeed if we are willing to give them high-quality instruction and intensive services early in their school careers,” (p. 266).

            Technology in the classroom can also increase effectiveness. There are many different ways in which to incorporate technology and support learning through technology. It is not only helpful for teachers to include technology in their lessons, but the students also benefit because their world is so infiltrated by technology already. Students must understand how to use technology and teachers need to use technology that is available in order to help make their jobs easier, more effective, more interactive, and more fun for everyone.
           
Analyze:

            This week’s readings reinforced my knowledge about effective teaching. It is so important to have a balance for the use of time in the classroom and the QAIT model is an excellent resource that I could use in the future for planning lessons. I enjoyed reading about grouping and learning what works and what doesn’t work. In my own experience, I have used both mixed-ability and within-class ability grouping. Both seem to be very effective and are dependent upon what skills I am working on in the classroom.

            This week’s discussion was excellent and I enjoyed reading the ways in which different teachers develop good rapports with their at-risk students. For me, personally, I think it is important to be those students’ cheerleaders and to encourage them because sometimes they don’t receive encouragement from anywhere else. My sentiments were reflected in Kasey’s post. Kasey wrote about how she not only gives one-on-one feedback to each of her students, but she makes it a point to go to her students’ after school activities and support them outside of the classroom. I thought that this was a great idea and I would love to do this for my students. Many of these students need someone to just believe in them and I hope to be that positive influence in my students’ lives.

Reflect:
How is this concept significant concerning the context of your classroom?
            This is important to the context of my classroom because I want to be an effective teacher. I have to remember effective grouping strategies and always be considerate of the at-risk learners in my classroom. I teach at a Title I school, and so it is very likely that my classroom will be filled with at-risk students.
Postive aspects
            This week’s reading and discussion had many positive aspects, but my biggest take aways came from reading my colleagues’ discussion posts. I think that it is so important to learn from other teachers and this week I have done just that. They have given me several ideas of how to come along side at-risk learners and help them to succeed.
Meaning for me
            This week’s reading had a lot of meaning for me. I am very passionate about making sure that each student succeeds and that no student falls through the cracks. Making my teaching more effective by using strategies like QAIT, and grouping students within the classroom can help me to be a better teacher.
Beliefs about teaching
            I believe that every student should have the opportunity to succeed and that is what this chapter was all about. Using new technology resources and incorporating individualized education programs can help students to get the help that they need. I want to always be aware of what each student needs and what they are struggling with, and knowing strategies for teaching effectively can help me to do just that.

Reference

Slavin, R. E. (2012). Educational psychology: Theory and practice (10th ed.). Boston, MA:

No comments:

Post a Comment