Saturday, May 28, 2016

Reflective Journal 2

Describe:
Learning is something that people inherently do. Whether it is crying to be fed or making connecting the concepts of multiplication and division, we are always learning. Learning and development are indisputably linked. The learning of behaviors, thought, and social cues is learning that develops over time.

Behavioral learning theories are “explanations of learning that emphasize observable changes in behavior,” (p. 116). Two notable theorists studied behavioral learning by observing different types of conditioning. Ivan Pavlov studied classical conditioning. This type of conditioning is “the process of repeatedly associating a previously neutral stimulus with an unconditioned stimulus in order to evoke a conditioned response,” (p. 117). Pavlov’s experiments with dogs demonstrated that learning could affect that which is involuntary. B.F. Skinner, on the other hand, studied operant conditioning. Operant conditioning uses pleasant or unpleasant consequences in order to influence behavior. Skinner’s work shows that behavior can be influenced based on what sort of consequences are given.

Principles of behavioral learning include: consequences, reinforcers, punishers, shaping, extinction, schedules of reinforcement, and antecedents. All of these principles influence behavior in some form. Reinforcers are used to strengthen a behavior while punishers are used to weaken a behavior. There are many different types of reinforcers including primary and secondary, positive and negative, and intrinsic and extrinsic. Positive and negative reinforcers are those that are most observable. A positive reinforce might be telling a student that they have done good work or giving them a reward, but a negative reinforcer is taking away something unpleasurable, such as homework, as a reward in its place. Punishers are also observable in a classroom. The text points out, though, that both punishers and reinforcers should be consequences that are given immediately. Immediate feedback “makes clear the connection between behavior and consequences, and also increases the value of the feedback,” (p.126). The text also argues that reinforcement should be given on a schedule and it should be carefully planned and thought through. Offering reinforcement at all times decreases work ethic and the effectiveness of reinforcement.

Social learning theory, developed by Albert Bandura, utilizes the research of behavioral learning theorists, but focuses on the importance of observational learning and self-regulated learning. Bandura theorizes that learning is most efficiently shaped by learning from a model. He refers to this as observational learning.  One effective use of modeling for classroom management is vicarious learning. We can use vicarious learning by praising appropriate responses and behaviors. Bandura also suggests that people learn by observing not only others, but themselves as well. This is referred to as self-regulated learning. Self-regulated learning has been further studied by psychologist Donald Meichenbaum who developed a model for self-instruction. Self-regulated leaning is a way to encourage students to really think about their thought (p.135). Self-reinforcement is a way to combine behavioral learning theory with social learning theory in order to develop reflective students who are able to change their own behaviors.

Analyze:
Behavioral learning theories are excellent to be aware of in the classroom. The fact that they are based on observable behaviors makes them easily accessible for classroom management strategies. I take note of these observable behaviors everyday, and it is an asset to know research behind the best times to reinforce and the necessary times to punish. Often in my classroom, I give verbal praise. According to the text, I do this much too often. I tend to give praise whenever my students attempt to do something, but I do not always give them feedback and encourage them to fix things. By not using a schedule of reinforcement, I may be making my reinforcement less effective. A schedule of reinforcement is a set of parameters for when and why positive reinforcement should be given. Having rules for when and why I give reinforcers is something that would benefit my students. Not always giving them reinforcement and knowing what I give reinforcement for would help them to build up generalizations about what is good work and good behavior, (p.131).

The discussions for this week helped me to see many different viewpoints. I liked hearing from the teachers of different grade levels and how they normally deal with behavior problems. Many teachers wrote about how their students might see going to the office as a positive or negative reinforcement or wrong behavior. Sending a child to the office could be a negative reinforcement if their wrong behavior gets them out of the classroom where they do not want to be. If we look at it this way, then the child is not learning anything but that their teacher can be manipulated. One of my classmates, Pam Hargrove, mentioned that if she sent a child to the office then she was showing her students that she was incapable of handling their behavior, and that she was just opening the door to more bad behavior. Her solution to this problem was to start out the beginning of the year making the students self-reflect about their behavior. I thought that her argument was excellent and I could see why she saw going to the office not as a punishment, but as a reinforcer. Other teachers, however, gave some examples of when going to the office could be a positive reinforcement for good behavior. One example I saw was “the principal’s lunch club.” This reward would be for excellent behavior and it would give students a little time out of class as reinforcement. Reading all of the responses left me with the conclusion that sending a student to the office is not always the punishment that we need it to be. It always depends on the student’s frame of mind and it is our job to figure out the best way to give consequences for each student.

Reflect:
Significance of the concept concerning the context my classroom…
Social and behavioral learning theories are essential for any classroom. In order to have solid classroom management, we must understand observable behaviors. Behavioral learning theories teach us to consider what consequences must be given, and if those consequences should be reinforcement of behavior or a punishment for a behavior. In my own classroom, the text has taught me to put more value on positive reinforcement. Often times in my own class, I hand out praise for anything and everything. My students, of course, are at a young age where they need positive reinforcement often, but I also need to keep in mind that the students have to build up some confidence in themselves. I need to let them judge their own work sometimes and tell me if it needs more work or if it is finished. I want my students to be able to do work without being reliant upon my praises.
Positive aspects for this concept…
I see many positive aspects for what I have learned about this week. Knowing more about students and the ways they think is always positive. An especially meaningful part that I learned about is that of self-regulation. I believe that self-regulation s critical for molding students into successful adults. In the classroom, we can teach self-regulation in many different ways, but it is important to not forget about it. I think that a great way to use self-regulation would be for the students to monitor their own behavior. In the book, there is an example of how a teacher gave students a behavior scale and they had to rate themselves each day. If they matched the teacher’s rating of good behavior, they were rewarded. If I were to use this in my classroom, I would extend the rating by requiring the students to explain why they rated themselves in the manner that they did. This self-regulation would be motivation to do better and would teach self-reflection.
Handling a situation differently based on this learned information…
Based on what I have learned, I will definitely handle consequences better. In the past, I have given consequences (both reinforcers and punishers) with delay instead of immediacy. The text speaks on the importance of immediately giving consequences instead of delaying them because of value placed on the consequences. I think that this is most critical with the deliverance of punishers. Often times in my classroom students have to sit out of recess for five minutes for getting three strikes. I usually keep up with these strikes in my head, but I think it may be more effective to be punished immediately in some instances. For example, if a child has misused materials or not listened to instructions during center time, it would be more appropriate to take them out of centers and have them sit at their desks. Center time in my classroom is free play and free choice, so it is a difficult time to manage and I definitely need to be more consistent in both my schedule of reinforcement and punishments.
My learning confirmed my knowledge about teaching…
This week’s learning definitely confirmed to me that it is very important to get to know children. If we do not know our students and understand them, then it is nearly impossible to be able to correctly discipline them in an effective manner.

Reference

Slavin, R. E. (2012). Educational psychology: Theory and practice (10th ed.). Boston, M

No comments:

Post a Comment